Never heard of Tamanu oil? Well this is your chance to discover this underrated oil in today’s installment of Ingredient 101.
This ingredient is extracted from the seeds of the Tamanu nut tree. (technically, it’a a type of evergreen, called Calophyllum Inophyllum, found in the South Pacific). The oil—along with bark and leaves—has been touted for centuries in African, Asian, Polynesian, and Pacific Island cultures.
Tamanu Oil has been known to have strong healing qualities while also being antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. It’s a strong and potent moisturizing ingredient that contains natural UV absorbing qualities to help protect your skin from free radicals.
What types of skin benefit the most from Tamanu Oil?
All skin types can benefit from Tamanu Oil! Dry skin would benefit from this oil because it’s rich in Oleic Acid, making it very moisturizing for the skin. For combination and oily skin types, you can apply Tamanu Oil as a spot treatment. This way you can combat and heal acne without having to use a too sticky/thick product.
What benefits does it have on the skin?
While its numerous uses transcend the beauty space, many swear by it especially for its skin-healthy benefits. Here are a few:
- Helps with acne: Unlike other comedogenic oils (looking at you, coconut), Tamanu oil doesn’t clog pores. Better yet, it has some acne-fighting properties: “It has some antibacterial activity against P. acnes, the bacteria associated with acne, so it is a safe moisturizing oil to use on acneic skin,” says board-certified dermatologist Loretta Ciraldo, M.D., FAAD, founder of Dr. Loretta Skincare.
- Anti-inflammatory: On a similar note, Tamanu oil has impressive anti-inflammatory properties. This is especially helpful for those painful pimples or inflammatory conditions like eczema.
- Moisturizing: Tamanu helps seal in hydration. It also has a fair share of fatty acids to feed the skin barrier with healthy lipids.
- Promotes cell turnover: Tamanu oil has wound-healing and skin-regenerating capabilities. One study even shows that it encourages the growth of new skin cells—all of which are helpful for fading acne scars and hyperpigmentation, as well as promoting an all-around glow.
- Supports healthy skin aging: “It is reported to help protect skin from UV-induced damage, promote glyco-amino-glycan production (the most common of these is hyaluronic acid), and help support collagen,” says Ciraldo.
What skincare products contain this ingredient?
Like Dew Green Signal Dew Oil. This beautiful, green oil is 100% natural and multifunctional. This baby will fade dark spots and hyperpigmentation while healing and moisturizing the skin. It also contains a great dose of Squalane to help soothe irritations!